Sunday, September 30, 2007

Let it Snow!


Oh, if it only would! We've had such a hot and humid summer this year, here in Southeast VA. I am ready for fall. We don't seem to get much in the way of winter here. I believe it snowed a total of fifteen minutes last year. So, I 've decided to make my own snow. It's the Winter Wonderland Shawl, a gorgeous pattern, designed by Sharon Winsauer. You can find it here:
http://www.thealpacayarnco.com/Suri%20Elegance%20Patterns.htm

The snowflakes are so much fun to knit. I think I'm addicted to them. I am on my fifth so far, and they are all so different that I know I won't lose interest. It's fun to block them as you go, because they're so small and easy to pin out. Once the snowflakes are knit (out of Glimmer Alpaca, so they have a little sparkle), you knit a hexagonal lace border "background" around each one, and then sew them all together. I'm using Jaggerspun Zephyr for the lace borders.

Well, I have been sucked into the happy vortex that is Ravelry. I've spent several hours tonight and last night setting up my notebook. It's coming along slowly. What a great tool! I think it's going to help me with one of the main reasons that I started this blog. I'll let you know what that is, tomorrow....

Back to Ravelry!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that is absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to see the finished object!

Anonymous said...

Your Winter Wonderland Shawl would sure be a hit here in Minnesota! I didn't realize how large the snowflakes were until I saw the beautiful finished shawl on the pattern on the Alpaca Yarn Co. website. I love the way the snowflakes are scattered on the shawl. It must be fun to have the more immediate satisfaction of finishing each individual snowflake, but then you still have to knit each one together. Are you finding that to be enjoyable or tedious?

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.